IoT Automation Solution Map
IoT and Big Data the buzz words for Industry 4.0 !
Manufacturers are enthusiastic about tapping the power of big data analysis to increase competitiveness, improve the bottom line, and anticipate trends. Manufacturers are looking to the Internet of Things (IoT), whicj lifts the communication barriers among field devices and enables data-driven decision making (DDDM). However, gaining access to field data is a challenge because field devices use different field protocols, run independently, and lack connectivity.
Existing deployed devices are called: Brown field as opposed to the “Smart Devices called Green Field.
To surmount communication barriers among various field devices including machinery, robots, PLCs, and sensors different vendors propose an Automation Solution to provide open-architecture solutions designed with cross-protocol communication capabilities, supporting data communication between field devices and the cloud.
These solutions can be divided in four product categories which are :
- Data concentration system
- PC-based automation system (from field buses to data formats based on apps needs)
- Prediction maintenance system (Data gathering/retrieval mechanism)
- Automatic metering system (enhance pipeline safety and industrial flow measurement)
- These four product categories cover all scopes of IoT Automation Application, they all have connectivity to connect to the cloud forming a mesh network that links factories and enterprise.
Sources : Nexcom, Telit, Intel
Follow me on TPO